Friday, January 16, 2009


I know there are millions of new stuff to post, some of them brilliant, and I should be posting some of these new stuff. Maybe next time...
Today's post is about a guy that, in my opinion, is the best musician of the alternative scene. Also, he has been releasing fantastic albums, one after the other.
Andrew Bird graduated in violin performance, and also plays guitar, glockenspiel, mandolin AND whistles. All of them brilliantly. By now you should be able to tell he is part of that 'baroque' team, that includes Joanna Newson and Fleet Foxes.

In 2007 he released his album Armchair Apocrypha, which is one of these albums that I HAVE TO listen to at least once every two or three days. Filled with a mix of nostalgic and melancholic mood, it carries you from song 1 to 12 smoothly, without that urge to skip a track. Bird uses his proficiency in violin, glockenspiel and whistling to create elaborated, yet conforting and warming melodies. And as opposed to many other violin players, he isn't annoying at all.
That makes Armchair Apocrypha one of my favourite albums of the last years.

Now he returns with a new album, Noble Beast, that's due to be released on the 20th of January on the US and on the 2nd of February on the UK. I am waiting for it eagerly, and as soon as I have listened to it properly, I will write something about it here. Until then, I leave you with a track of the brillian Armchair Apocrypha.